Key stage 3
Mathematics is a core subject and is compulsory until the end of year 11. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment.
Aims of the subject
We aim to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics through frequent intelligent practice
- Develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, testing conjectures and developing arguments
- Use mathematical language throughout
- Solve problems by applying mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems by breaking them down into a series of simpler steps.