We expect the highest levels of attendance possible. Our aim is to have all students achieve a minimum of 97% attendance and ultimately aim for 100% attendance and punctuality.
The information below should help both students and parents/carers ensure we achieve the highest possible attendance levels.
We require all students to:
– achieve the academy target of 97%
– arrive on site by 8.40am and to be punctual to all lessons.
– inform their tutor of any problem or reason that is known in advance and may prevent their attendance
– inform a member of staff if they need to leave the academy grounds for any reason during the academy day. Students must not leave the site without permission.
All parents/guardians of Holgate students should:
– provide the academy with up to date contact details
– ensure their child attends the academy regularly and punctually, as is their legal duty as parents
– contact the academy on the first and each subsequent day of absence, unless a definite date of return is known
– ensure their child arrives on time and well prepared for the academy day
– contact the academy whenever any problems occur that may affect their child’s attendance or performance
– access their child’s record via INSIGHT and contact the academy with any queries regarding attendance
Parents/ carers are not entitled to remove children from the academy for holidays or for any other reason as a right. Moreover, the academy will not automatically authorise holidays simply on the grounds of a parent/carer being unable to take time off from their employment during the academy’s holidays.
The Holgate Academy will not authorise absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. These circumstances are:
– where families are service personnel;
– where a family needs to spend time together to support each other during/after a crisis;
– other compassionate circumstances confidentially shared with the academy;
– where a student has been offered an exceptional opportunity outside of school.
Parents/carers may apply for exceptional leave of absence by writing to the Principal at least four weeks before the planned absence (including before the planned holiday is booked). Holidays will not be granted retrospectively, based on an existing booking. The application letter must outline precisely what the exceptional circumstances are.
Local Authority Code of Conduct for issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices will be followed in cases of holidays taken without prior authorisation
The academy’s policy on attendance is regulated by DALP policies, and is aligned with Nottinghamshire County Council’s guidelines. To understand these guidelines further, please click here.
We expect students to:
- Arrive in the academy and at lessons punctually and prepared to learn. Any student who arrives late to the academy or lessons will be sanctioned and may be required to undertake a House detention
- Bring appropriate equipment
- Wear uniform correctly
- All students are expected to be polite, courteous and respectful to everyone at Holgate and to comply with reasonable requests or instructions made by staff on the first time of asking
- Students are expected to have regard for their own safety and that of others
- Holgate provides a secure and safe environment for students who are expected to remain on site throughout the academy day.