The Holgate Academy sits within an increasingly diverse community. Our school body reflects this and we value the individuality of all within our academy community.
Our aim is to equip our students with the skills and confidence they need to reach their full potential and be ready for the next steps in their career.
Educating our whole academy on how we promote equity, diversity and inclusion is a significant aspect of our work together. We aim to enable all our students to understand that their positive impact on the lives of others is crucial for everyone’s wellbeing and success.
We recognise that equity of opportunity is a fundamental right, and we have set out the following objectives in order to achieve this.
These objectives should be considered in conjunction with our equity statement (see Single Equality Academy Appendix on Policies page).
- To grow and nurture an ethos which respects and values all people and prepares our pupils for life in modern Britain.
- To ensure that the curriculum makes explicit and implicit provision to promote and celebrate diversity, actively challenging stereotypes and prejudiced attitudes, particularly focusing on students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- To have high expectations of behaviour which demonstrates respect for others and to eliminate all forms of direct and indirect discrimination, bullying, harassment, victimisation and other oppressive behaviour.
- To take positive action to provide encouragement and support for individuals and groups whose progress has been limited by virtue of their protected characteristic(s), making reasonable adjustments within the resources available to remove barriers which limit or discourage access to educational provision and activities.
- To promote good relationships amongst all people within The Holgate Academy and between them and the individual academies, Academy Trust and the wider community within which we work.
- To ensure that recruitment and selection procedures and practices within the Trust – and the individual academies within the Trust – are open and transparent, ensuring that fair and equal selection criteria is applied.
- To monitor and review the implementation of equity and diversity within the academy.
These equity objectives will be reviewed and republished every four years. The next review date is January 2026.