Through our curriculum offer we aim to develop well rounded individuals who are responsible, caring and positive members of society who benefit from a curriculum that offers the very best opportunities to succeed in life. We aim to inspire, raise aspiration and create brighter tomorrows. We will:
- Deliver a fully inclusive curriculum for all students and strive to ensure that all our student’s needs are met. (More information on this can be found in our policy section and links directly to the Equality Act 2010 and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014).
- Provide a breadth and depth of knowledge to help students understand and value the world
- Develop both academic and practical skills to allow students to become well rounded individuals,
- Promote student creativity and staff innovation.
- Challenge our learners to ask questions and to be inquisitive.
- Broaden life experiences by offering a wide range of enrichment opportunities, locally, nationally and internationally.
- Instil resilience by developing self-confidence to allow students to be able to progress to their next step in life.
- Develop a curriculum that offers a wide range of choices that is tailored to individual needs at all Key Stages.
- Enable students to be fully aware of British Values and promote SMSC (Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural) values.
At Holgate, we offer a full range of subjects that gives all students access to a broad, balanced and rich curriculum through the full range of National Curriculum subjects. At Key Stage 3, this includes our core subjects of English, maths and science, as well as geography, history, French, which form the English Baccalaureate.
The arts faculty broadens learning further by offering art, drama, music, and photography. Within technology, students study product design, food, graphic design and textiles, as well as a module in first aid for all at Key Stage 3.
In our personal development curriculum, we teach a range of modules including citizenship, financial education, relationship and sexual education and careers, a central focus in all years. The religious education curriculum is delivered from an ethical perspective and covers a range of cultural, diversity and religious topics. Our physical education curriculum at key stage 3 is based on practical sporting activities and promoting a healthy, active balanced lifestyle. At Key Stage 4, students can opt into BTEC PE to develop a greater depth of knowledge.
We broaden our curriculum further at Key Stage 4, and students can opt into studying science in greater depth (triple science), business studies, childcare, dance, film studies, further maths, graphic communication, media and statistics. We provide a wide range of academic and vocational courses within these subject areas and are continually looking to run courses that cater for student interests and needs. As well as supporting their individual progress, we work hard to ensure we also meet the changing needs of our community.
Our students will choose their options in year 9, ready for a flying start in year 10. Students have a guided but open choice, choosing from a broad range of subjects across all curriculum areas to enable a balanced choice that supports next steps, future careers and brighter tomorrows.
Our sixth form offers a vibrant, progressive pathway to Key Stage 5, which aims to build on students’ skills and interests. Students will study at our Hucknall Sixth Form Centre (HSFC), which supports both academic and vocational pathways. For more information on Key Stage 5, see the sixth form section of this website.
Our extra-curricular enrichment activities, including local, national and international trips complementing the timetabled curricular provision and are important in our aim of developing well rounded students.
If you have any questions about the curriculum at The Holgate Academy please email firstname.lastname@example.org